Critical illness is something that no one wants to think about, but it’s essential to be prepared. Not just the affected person but also their family suffers from the financial burden of critical illness. That’s where necessary illness insurance comes in.
What is Critical Illness Insurance?
A critical illness insurancey polic is a kind of health insurance that pays out a lump sum if the policyholder suffers a specified critical illness. The money can be used to help pay for medical treatment, make up for lost income, or cover other expenses. It is one of the safest ways to protect you and your family financially from a severe illness.
Most critical illness policies will cover a range of conditions, including cancer, heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure. Some policies will also cover less common conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, paralysis, and major organ transplants. There are a few policies that will cover more than 100 conditions.
However, critical insurance coverage does not cover everything. For example, it excludes conditions that are not life-threatening, such as cholesterol or diabetes. It also excludes pre-existing conditions and illnesses that are considered to be cosmetic surgery.
Who can apply for a critical illness cover?
Critical illness insurance is available to anyone between 18 and 65. You can apply for coverage even if you don’t have a health condition. You can also purchase critical illness insurance as an add-on to your life insurance policy. It can provide you with additional protection if you are diagnosed with a critical illness. There are a few points that you need to keep in mind while purchasing a necessary illness policy:
- The waiting period is the length of time that you have to wait before you can claim on your policy. The waiting period for these policies is usually 30 days, but it can be as long as 90 days.
- You will also need to choose a benefit amount. It is the lump sum that will be paid out if you are diagnosed with a critical illness. The benefit amount can range from £5,000 to £2 million.
- You will also need to decide how long the policy will last. Critical illness insurance policies can last for 10, 20, or 30 years.
- Once you have purchased a policy, you will need to pay premiums. The premium is the monthly or yearly payment you make to keep the policy in force. These critical illness cover premiums can be paid monthly, quarterly, or yearly.
- Picking up the right cover can be a challenging and tiresome task. Thus, you must seek help from a professional insurance adviser. It will help you understand your requirements and recommend the best possible critical illness cover. Therefore, even after doing your research, it’s best to seek help from a trustworthy insurance adviser in the UK.
- Benefits of having critical illness insurance in the UK:
- When it comes to healthcare, the United Kingdom is considered to have some of the best medical facilities in the world. However, these facilities come at a cost. A critical illness can put a lot of financial strain on a family. Critical illness insurance can help ease this burden. Some of the benefits of having severe illness insurance in the UK are:
- Peace of mind:
- A critical illness is stressful for you and your family. Critical illness insurance can give you peace of mind knowing that you are financially protected in the event of a diagnosis. Moreover, you can focus on your recovery without worrying about the financial implications when you are covered.
- No delay in treatment:
- One of the main benefits of critical illness insurance is that it can help you access treatment quickly. If you are diagnosed with a critical illness, you will be able to get the treatment you need without delay. It is because the policy will pay for the cost of your treatment. Therefore, when you receive treatment at the earliest, you will have a better chance of making a full recovery.
Security for your family:
A critical illness can significantly impact your loved ones, both emotionally and financially. If you are the primary breadwinner, a critical illness can put a lot of financial strain on your family. With critical illness insurance, you can ensure that your family is taken care of financially in the event of your diagnosis. Access to the best treatment:
In the UK, you have access to some of the best medical facilities in the world. However, these facilities can be expensive. Critical illness insurance can help you cover the costs of treatment to get the best possible care.
Pre and post hospitalisation cost coverage:
Critical illness insurance can help you cover the costs of both pre and post hospitalisation. It can include the cost of tests, treatments, and medication. Pre and post hospitalisation costs can be significantly expensive, and a critical illness cover can help you ease the financial burden.
In the UK, critical illness insurance is a tax-free benefit. You will not have to pay any taxes on the payout you receive from your policy. Moreover, the premiums you pay for your policy are also tax-deductible. Thus, whether you are an employee or own a business, critical illness insurance can provide tax relief.
A critical illness can have a significant impact on your life. It can be emotionally and financially devastating. Critical illness insurance can help you protect yourself and your family against the financial implications of a critical illness. If you are planning for critical illness cover, you must seek help from a professional insurance adviser in the UK. They will help you understand your requirements and recommend the best possible policy.
The best part is that critical illness insurance comes with several tax benefits to help you save money. The earlier you opt for a critical illness cover, the better it is. As you grow older, the chances of being diagnosed with a critical illness increase. Thus, you must act now and get yourself covered.